Friends of Moseley Road Baths have a firm commitment to preserving and celebrating the heritage of Moseley Road Baths.
In 2009 we submitted a bid for just under £48,000 to the Heritage Lottery Fund for an extensive oral history project encompassing a wide range of activities including the production of a book, teaching resource, DVD, permanent exhibition and drama project. We were successful!
Since that point we have:
- Launched the project at Balsall Heath Library
- Recruited a talented and enthusiastic group of volunteers to help record oral histories.
- Undertaken some smashing training with the Oral History Society.
- Gone out and done loads of fantastic interviews on audio and film.
- Transcribed and catalogued hours of recordings.
- Work is underway on the book, with reams of notes and hours of research already done.
- Work has commenced on the schools projects which entails a local film maker going into schools and assisting pupils in researching about the Baths, learning how to make films and conduct oral history interviews, before going on to do filmed interviews with contributors to the archive. So far we have completed five school projects with over 40 pupils filming and interviewing memories of the public about their memories.
- Work is being done on our Pool of Memories website which will be an online space for us to share the archive and a resource for schools.
- Organised the Memories and Memorabilia Day to exhibit some of the archive so far.
- Attended the Oral History Society’s Vision On event in November…
… and we still have over a year of the project to go!
If you want to know more about the project, if you want to share your own stories, or if you would like your school to be considered for the project, please contact us at email@example.com.